Saturday, 20 September 2014

Feeling Homesick.

The importance of family and friends.

After a spell of family gatherings and connections, for the first time in many years I am feeling a little homesick for my childhood haunts and old life. The last time was when, as a very young mother I was two weeks overdue with our second child, we were newly in North Wales, and I just wanted my Mum. I saw her [Mum] in my dreams as she [daughter] was making her way into the world and Mum arrived hot foot as soon as she could.

It is wonderful to meet up  and make new, and renew, connections with family and friends and hear about one from the other. It made me pause and reflect on what we left behind when we moved, with hope in our hearts and a small baby, from Lancashire to North Wales all those years ago.

Social Media this last week has played a part in this as I have connected on Facebook with distant family across the globe.Through one connection on holiday from the US to Ireland, a whole new conversation opened up resulting in a multi-way conversation between Ireland, North Wales, and America. In the process, I established the relationship more clearly between two FB 'friends', discovered a possible new cousin in Ireland and made a new connection with more distant member of the family tree.

Nearer to home, when I find that family on both sides and friends all know each other, well I have a few pangs of homesickness. Especially when I saw a photo which included my childhood home and reflected how it all used to be.

But, what a wonderful place we live in now. What a good life, through had work, we have had. And what wonderful new friends we have made over the years - latterly through our GWOCGB family. Friendships which have endured. So we have a lot to be thankful for as we look forward.

We saw on BBC Cymru Wales this week how you could fly through the air on a Zip Wire off the mountain near Bethesda (Bangor, North Wales). 
The website says,
'These adrenalin fuelled attractions are a first for the UK, and are located in the most dramatic of settings – Zip World Velocity located at Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda, and Zip World Titan located at Llechwedd Slate Caverns, Blaenau Ffestiniog, both nestled amongst the mountains of Snowdonia, North Wales.'  http://www.zipworld.co.uk/welcome-to-zip-world/

My husband was as enthralled as I was. He turned to me, 'How about us next year?'
'For my birthday?' I responded hopefully and eagerly. Well, he is not happy about me my birthday treat being a Balloon ride!

I might hold him to that. What a way to start another decade. Mind you, all subject to doctor's orders I expect.

Rosalie xx