Monday, 11 February 2013

Yet Another Employability Skill - Recording Your Progress and Development

Over the last three weeks, we have looked at a topic which is becoming more and more important. The place of lifelong learning in development and how it contributes to the development of your potential and you as a whole (Lifelong Learning:A View From the Coal Face). Part of this development is in making sure that you have the skills to become and stay employed (Skills For Employability Part One: Pre-Employment and Skills For Employability Part Two: Moving into Employment).

If you are just leaving school or college, your Careers advisor will have talked to you and given you lots of help and advice. The two Employability Skills  books include some of this but go beyond and focus on what you will find in employment and,to some degree, what is expected of you. If you haven't read the last two blog posts here are the links Looking for a job? Are you employable?  and You got that job? Your springboard for the future.

A crucial part of remaining in employment and moving upwards or sideways is to have a personal and/or professional development plan where you can identify what you need to do, what you have learned and what you have learned from this learning.

Release Your Potential : Making Sense of Personal and Professional Development goes step-by-step through the whole process of this developmental activity.
Below is an extract.
"You must obtain the skills and knowledge needed for the future. This means constantly learning new processes as technology and economic needs change. This is your responsibility. If you are fortunate, your organisation will be investing in its workforce – as many do.
In other words, you are managing your life.

You will ask yourself:
  •   Where am I now?
  •   What are my strengths & weaknesses?
  •   Where do I want to be?
  •   What are the opportunities & threats?
  •   How do I get there? Which route do I take?
  •   What am I going to need? Development? Experience?
  •   Do I have what is needed?
  •  Opportunities – how will I get them?
  •   How am I going to get involved?
  •   Do I change my job?
  •   Threats – what will stop me doing what I need to do?
  •   What other action should I take?
  •   What daily activities do I take part in that will help me to get to where I want to go?
  •   What current resources are there in my organisation or another one? 
The Way Forward.
Join me in the journey as we decide:
  •   How to compile a simple Curriculum Vitae or C.V.
  •   How to complete a S.W.O.T. Analysis.
  •   What I know now.
  •   What I need to know in the future.
  •   How I will learn what I need to know.
  •   What will stop me doing this?
Then we will move on to:
  •   How we decide which is the best way forward for you as an individual to learn.
  •   How we manage our time.
  •   How we manage our stress levels.
I will show you:
  •   How to draw up and complete a Personal Action Plan.
  •   Keep a record of what you have done and need to do to keep focused on your objectives.
  •   How to set aside time to look back on what you have done and see how far you have travelled.
In this way, as you take responsibility for your learning and development you will see yourself gradually improve and grow in confidence as you break down the barriers; climbing the ladder to where you want to be – and become a winner.
You must keep up to date and plan for the future. 

The days of a job for life have long since gone."

As with the other books in the series, it is written as a user-friendly workbook. A big workshop in a small package. More at Rosalie's website - Discover-Rosalie
Links to worldwide retailers and e-retailers in Rosalie's Bookstore 
It comes in paperback or an eBook in ePub, Kindle or *pdf digital formats and more; available worldwide for PC Mac and multiple devices.(Download Adobe Digital Editions free) 


Rosalie x