Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Webinar -The Science of Timing ( Tweets,blog,FB posts and all)

I am well into webinars now.  In the middle of the BookBuzzr Book Marketing Technology Centre (BBMTC) programme, I saw an intriguing post on Twitter - 'The Science of Timing'. So I hot-footed it to check the time zones and sign up. 1pm ET worked out at 18:00 hrs GMT. A  great time for me! 

The Science of Timing explored the results of research carried out by Dan Zarella of Boston MA. who is a HubSpot Social Media Scientist. Through the medium of Media Player and others Dan had lots of slides with amazing data showing the best optimum times to tweet, e-mail, post or Face Book and Blog. The data also showed the times when most people unsubscribe etc. and re-tweet. Amazing stuff. I had never thought of this as a science though.

I had already carried out a calculation for GMT.  E.g. if I blogged or timed my BookBuzzr auto tweets for  say 5pm GMT then that would be approx. 5am Australia, late evening in India and lunch-time in parts of USA.

Not surprisingly (and we are talking US EST time here) 11am was the busiest time for tweeters and Saturday the busiest day. I would guess that 11am is coffee time in most workplaces but if a Saturday,is 11am when tweeters surface? Dan pointed out that the surprising low  results for daytime / weekdays could be due to a clamp down by organisations on internet use in company time.

This data was very informative for marketing purposes. For myself, I  usually settle myself  with a cuppa on rising, and catch up with what is happening in the world via Twitter and FB whilst watching the BBC Breakfast Show.

Through out the day I log on at various times and catch up (usually when I get a notification) and before I sign off for the day so my tweeting, posting etc. is not really planned. I am aware that, if not careful, more time can be spent in time-consuming social networking chat when the time would be more productively spent actually working on something tangible.

I am impressed with the pre-webinar checks on system requirements/capabilities which the technology used for the webinars, allows participants to carry out. The HubSpot one had links to download updates if required.

For someone like myself  who is out the mainstream of office/organisation dynamics, webinars fill a gap. The 24,000 who signed up for The Science of Timing who may or may not be lone workers obviously think so.
Rosalie