Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Webinar - How to market books on Twitter -BBMTC

Just spent a happy fruitful hour taking part in a global Webinar. What is a Webinar you might ask? Simply a web-based seminar ( or meeting).

Freya (BookBuzzr) in India was joined by Gary Smailes of Bubble Cow (in England - not far from my neck of the woods in North Wales) and Joanna Penn of The Creative Penn (in Australia) who gave very clear presentations on what to focus on when marketing your book on Twitter. There followed a good mix of questions from the audience. I asked:
'Some schools of thought say that for writers it is important to show the person behind the book. Hence adding in personal things into book marketing. What do the panel think?'

The replies ranged from 'not too personal' to 'some things are OK'. I guess that it is important to separate the 'private' from  'general personal'.
This is my third Webinar and have enjoyed them all. Even the first two which took place at 01:00 am GMT! Hard to get up the following morning though!.

I have spent my working life being involved in professional development activities and attending workshops and courses both in sales management and in further education. Since retiring to concentrate on my writing and family responsibilities,I have missed this interaction which is where social networking comes in. Taking part in web-based interaction from the comfort of my study puts me back into the stream of things so that I can keep at the cutting edge.

Following today's Webinar I have some new avenues to follow. Although I already use Twitter a lot with auto tweets from Book Buzzr and widgets, some strategies have been re-inforced. In addition I  now have other aspects  to pursue.
Thank you Freya, Joanna and Gary.

Rosalie  xx